How to Build a Trailer
The first thing that you need when you decide to build a trailer is a proper axle kit. You need to figure out the type of trailer that you want to build and then go for it. You can find simple to complex building plans for the trailer at a hardware store or on the internet but we are discussing some basics here.
The things that you need to build you trailer are:
• A Plan that is detailed and not very complicated
• An angle iron.
• A Metal saw or a welding torch.
• A marking tool to mark the metal.
• A measuring tape.
• The Axle Kit.
• Paper work required for the license.
• The last but the most important; you need to know what is the legal size of the trailers from the local DMV.
Step by step procedure:
1. Once you have the plans for the trailer from the hardware store or the internet; you will need to go shopping for the things that are required. Since the main frame of the trailer is required to be cut length wise as per the design; make use of the cutting torch or the saw to cut through the metal to the specified length.
2. When working on the trailer make sure that you have everything set on an even/flat surface. If incase the trailer is built unevenly; you may have to face the problem of having things or possessions rolling off the trailer.
3. The main component of your trailer is the axle; remember to check the plans and diagrams to find out where exactly the axle is: the point of axle depends on the type of trailer you are building. If it is a normal trailer, then the axle will be at the center point of gravity otherwise if it is trailer that needs a tilt; then the axle would have to be near the central balance to give you an easy tilt.
4. The tongue weight should be about 5% of the trailer’s complete weight. The axle needs to be centralized and must be in line with the frame.
5. Measure to check if the distance is even on all the wheels. Attach a latch to prevent it from tilting.
6. The fender requires smaller rods and the side rails need angle iron. The angle iron makes the back portion of the trailer and you can keep a gate if wanted.
7. Once this is done paint your trailer and get it registered with the local DMV.